Sunday, June 6, 2010

You Little Thief

I wish to report a crime.

Regular readers will know that I was stuck in Dubai recently when the Icelandic volcano erupted, and while stealing ten days of my life is a crime in itself, it just got worse this week in a mini crime wave mystery that Sherlock Holmes himself would have found taxing.

After I returned home from the Middle East, the company I was working for in Dubai very kindly sent me a box of luxury chocolates as a “thank you”, and if you know anything about me then you will realise that presenting me with chocolate is like giving me gold wrapped in hundred pound notes inside Louis Vuitton himself.

To say I like chocolate is like saying Lionel Messi is fond of a kick about, Simon Cowell likes mirrors, or Romeo had a wee bit of a fancy for Juliet. If I ever find a magic lamp then the genie will be busy turning the world’s glaciers in to Walnut Whips and the seas in to melted chocolate, and global warming will lead to nothing more sinister than hot chocolate on tap everywhere.

I get this small weakness, or very great talent as I prefer to call it, from my Mum who has a sweet tooth bigger than a giant vampire dragon’s fang. Unfortunately, the older I get the more attached I get to chocolate which, now that I think of it, is fair as it seems to be getting more attached to me - especially around the waist and chins.

Anyway, back to the crime I want to report. This box of chocolates from Dubai was very expensive and only available in the Middle East. The individual pieces were thick and crunchy and promised luxurious melting experiences on my tongue so, of course, I hid the box in a place at home where it would never be found. Or so I thought.

You’re ahead of me now, aren’t you?

At the weekend I was watching TV and said to my wife we should eat the chocolates just to make the evening complete. I searched every hidey hole I have in the house and couldn’t find them and, when I asked, Debbie and the kids insisted they hadn’t seen them. Debbie even swore blind that she knew nothing about them and I never had them in the first place.

Then today I found the box hidden behind a bag of flour in a cupboard in our utility room. And the box was empty!

Actually, to be truthful, it wasn’t completely empty as it had two and a half chocolates remaining. I challenged my wife who burst out laughing and said she’d started on them when I was on a trip two weeks ago and just couldn’t stop. The half of one chocolate remaining was because she didn’t like it and hoped, if I ever found out, that having a half would mollify me. The remaining two were on the execution list but she hadn’t had time to polish them off before I found them. I was desolate.

When your wife lies to you about something as serious as this you know that trust has gone forever and the divorce court beckons.

I suggested to my lawyer that stealing and lying about chocolate were grounds for divorce, but he seems not to understand and has informed me it would have to be something less important, like adultery.

So, adultery it is. I just have to find a chocolate lover who wants to join me.

No comments: